Monday, June 30, 2008

we came, we saw, we ate hot dogs



Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.
~Bob Feller

halfway through the baseball season, I pause and reflect on my dodger's sportsfandom. I can now tell which player is which all the way from the top deck simply by reading the subtle gestures they each make. I know the people sitting behind me (tony and steve) and all about their history as dodger's fans. I know that within one game of baseball lies a metaphor for an entire lifetime - the ups and downs, the long pauses and the bursts of excitement, the devastating injuries as well as the surprising victories. I know that it can be very loud and very quiet depending on the score on the board. I know that the ice cream vendor never comes when I need him too and that one dodger dog makes me feel great and two, make me feel awful. I know that sitting between sara and jg and jumping up for joy together and giving each other sloppy high fives when our team scores a run, makes the long walk up the hill from echo park more than worth it. ultimately, I know that baseball games are about a whole lot more than just baseball and I'm glad I've discovered that whole lot more.

No comments: