Monday, December 24, 2007

dissecting your dinner


after a five-year stint as a vegetarian, I found myself dissecting my dinner this holiday season. atop my plate, a cute little bird was bending over in front of me. I was sad, and curious. Hungry, and a bit disgusted too. I soldiered on, determined to experience a new thing, in this case, a cornish game hen. the truth is, I preferred the potatoes and the warm buttered rolls. the stuffing stayed in its bowl as it always has when it was passed to me--soggy baked bread crumbs have never tempted my pallet. but after it was all done, the dishes washed, desert set out; I was glad to have shared in this experiment with my family. I looked around the table at all the smiling faces that resembled my own and I ate my mother's cherry and pistachio pudding pie with a very merry heart.

No comments: