Tuesday, August 7, 2007

ask yourself to dance




Oh dancing with myself
Oh dancing with myself
Well there's nothing to lose
And there's nothing to prove
I'll be dancing with myself
--Billy idol




"To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance." --Oscar Wilde

until we can sit comfortably at a candlelit dinner alone, until we can gaze lovingly into our own eyes, until we can shout to the mountaintops, "I LOVE (insert your name here)!" every proclamation of love to another is a farce. to not know how to love yourself is to not know how to love.

so in an attempt to light or simply rekindle that internal flame, I offer up a private prom of sorts. you can wear nylon taffeta or a tux or your saggy ass drawers. you can crown yourself prom queen or king. you can be your own favorite dj. pick a song you love, I mean really love. now look at yourself standing awkwardly against the wall. walk over to yourself. say, "you look really nice." and then ask yourself to dance. now dance like it's nobody's business. sweat, sway, shimmy, shake. punch the air. grind yourself. do the running man. pop that ass. lose yourself in yourself. forget all the mean things you think and forgive all the mean things you say. commit yourself to the beautiful sweaty dance machine that is you. ask yourself to go steady. give yourself a kiss, hell slip in the tongue. be vulnerable. tell yourself that you love you. I promise you will say I love you back.

No comments: